Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Open source log analyzer (from: steven () aznc com)

From: Steven Hollingsworth <steven () aznc com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 01:38:57 -0700

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 01:02:01AM +0200, sami seclist wrote:
Hi list,
I'im looking for an open source log collection

You could use a central syslog server [0] using syslog-ng [1], the link may
be for gentoo, but it works, just replace package management and conf
file locations.

and analysis solution
for a netCache appliance. It would be based on syslog for collecting
events, but I would like your advice for an open source log analyser.
A search on tools section of securityfocus.com came with about 40 results=
Any advice or experience sharing with these tools would be welcome.
Thanks, sami.

Personally I use SEC to react to log events on my machines, which is
entioned in link [1]. Also this site [2] has a lot of resources concerning
log stuff as well.

HTH,

~ stevo

[0] - http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_setup_PHP-Syslog-NG