Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Remote Desktop, DMZ

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 12:40:01 -0700

  Security often involves trade-offs.  For many kinds of
situations, one can talk about "best practices" for addressing
security concerns, but individual circumstances may require
some adjustment to fit.

  There is, of course, no reason LAN users cannot access
services hosted in their own enterprise's DMZ, but I believe
you've intuited correctly that DMZ services are intended to
be accessible from the whole Internet, whereas you just want
to provide remote access to a tiny handful of users.

  I believe the technology you really need to look at is
*VPN*, which allows you to bring in authenticated users over
an encrypted connection into your network.  You place the server
side of the VPN host in the DMZ (so Internet users can reach it),
and its internal side where only a dedicated firewall/monitor tap
separates decrypted sessions from the internal resources you need
them to be able to reach.
  (Many networks just dump the internal side of the VPN directly
onto the internal network, but I don't think that's a great idea.)

David Gillett