Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: USB ports Network

From: "Tornado" <itsec_guy () bluebottle com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 18:10:09 +0530

Yes Andy. This is certainly good. I, in fact downloaded the copy of this software and tested it. It works fine only when the firewall is not turned on. Othewise it gives WMI error.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andy Cuff" <lists () securitywizardry com> To: "'Tornado'" <itsec_guy () bluebottle com>; <security-basics () securityfocus com>
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2007 2:53 AM
Subject: RE: USB ports Network

Evening,
I've been looking at GFI's FREE Online USB Scanner which using appropriate
system credentials scans all hosts and reports on all known USB devices
which have been installed on those hosts, regardless if the devices are
still there. Initially I thought this was a bit gimmicky but I was surprised at how much information it collected. I even threw a banner up on my site,
much to GFI's glee.

More info here
http://www.securitywizardry.com/endpoint.htm#freegfi
The blurb goes "....EndPointScan carries out granular checks across all
types of ports - USB, Firewire, Bluetooth, Infrared, PCMIA and Wi-Fi - on
all machines. This utility provides complete and thorough information about
all portable devices and can scan multiple computers simultaneously.
EndPointScan is fully compatible with existing network management or
administrative tools such as Active Directory and it will also work on Vista
systems..."

This is a great way of winning the Hearts and Minds of Sys Admins during
VA's

Best Regards
Andy Cuff
Managing Director / CEO