Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: FAX a virus

From: Andrew Wheeler <prime_dreamer () yahoo co uk>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 22:52:38 +0000

Hello,

When you say
My FAX server allows me to receive faxes from my clients from Internet.

Are you talking about faxes being routed via H.323/SIP or incoming faxes
being forwarded from a fax machine to a folder or email address.

This is an extract from a manufacturers core technology manual.

IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force) and ITU-T have standardized
procedures for sending fax messages over the Internet as e-mail
attachments.
The message is sent as a TIFF-F format image file attached to a MIME
format e-mail message.
(Some older models can also send DCX image files, depending on a user
setting).
To receive a fax by e-mail, a MIME-compatible mail reader is needed. To
view the fax, a TIFF-F viewer is needed. (For some models, the viewer
should also be able to view DCX files.)
The NIC fax must be connected to a LAN and set up correctly in order to
use Internet fax functions.
There is no need to set up a special server. Existing servers on the LAN
can be used.

If you have not already guest I am a field service engineer and work
with faxes copiers and printers.
Most machines today are hybrids and can do everything. This is not the
first time I have seen this question being asked. A few years ago we
quoted a government department and they had to do a security review on
any piece of equipment that connected to their network (printer) and had
access to the telephone network (fax). They required a letter from the
Manufacturer stating that it was impossible to access the network from
the fax line.

Since then more and more features have been added and I have wondered
about the security implications. Some of the new machines can run
embedded Java applications but require a specially coded SD card and
physical access to install on to the machines(I think the manufacturers
are scared that someone will write a sniffer like program and install it
onto a machine)

I work with machines that can be set up on the local network to receive
faxes over the Internet then forward them via smtp to a users in-box,an
FTP server or to a windows share. The machines I work with run netbsd as
the operating system.

Some machines do allow remote firmware updates mostly via ftp. I also
know of some manufacturers that can remotely connect to a facsimile
machine via the telephone line and adjust the programming (everything
from the quick dials to the fax modem speeds)

I do not know if sending a virus is possible as the machines only deal
with images but with all the other options I am sure someone might see a
possible security problem.

Andrew