Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Carrying out an application security assessment for a Visual Basic application

From: Tony UcedaVélez <tonyuv () versprite com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 14:42:43 -0400

It really depends on the nature of the application and what it is intended
to do.  Devoid of that information, my general recommendations are to see
how it is handling the following:

- authentication
- encryption
- storing/ caching of data across objects
- input validation
- error handling
- process management (all under one process? sub-processes?)
- code management (versioning, check-in/check-out procedures)
- coding environment assessment (for testing/ development/migration from)
- adding VB libraries (if and when necessary versus adding a whole list of
libraries for no added functionality)
- data integrity validation functions

Again, these are just simple starting points for performing a general app
assessment devoid of any tools and checking things manually.  Sharing with
the group what the app does may reveal more targeted recommendations.

Best wishes,

Tony UcedaVélez, CISM, CISA, GIAC
President
VerSprite, LLC