Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: FTP and Atlantic Broadband filter

From: "Jason Ross" <algorythm () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 14:08:08 -0400

On 10 Jun 2007 15:16:00 -0000, wymerzp () sbu edu <wymerzp () sbu edu> wrote:
I set it up and everything is fine... I can connect to localhost and
it works. When I connect from the outside it simply hangs

Presuming that this host is behind some kind of a NAT device and not
directly connected to the internet, the thing that immediately comes
to my mind is to ensure that you have set up port forwarding correctly.
Specifically, you may need to open both ftp (tcp/21) and ftp_data
(tcp/20). A possible way around that would be to ensure all your clients
are using passive ftp.

Also, if you are attempting to "connect from the outside" via an
internal host (eg, some host also behind your NAT is attempting to
connect to your external IP address) it could be that the type of
NAT you have set up is getting in the way.

(I'm not saying that I think you are doing that, but I've often run
into folks that try this and get confused when it doesn't work.)

I tried using netcat to listen on another port and redirect this to
localhost on port 21, but no dice.

Perhaps an easier method would be to change the port vsftpd is
listening on? IIRC, you can do this via the listen_port in your
vsftpd.conf. It may also be wise to check your ftp_data_port setting
and alter it as well (remembering to change your port forwarding
configuration accordingly).

--
jason