Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Incident Response

From: "Murda Mcloud" <murdamcloud () bigpond com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 09:54:42 +1000

I'd suggest using a basic framework to structure your investigation:
On a basic level, might go something like this.

1. Confirm that you have an incident
2. Gather data and decide whether to contain the 'attack'
3. recovery and analysis
4. Review/report/lessons learned etc recommend

And all the way through thoroughly document what is happening/has happened.

Some people would suggest that incident handling includes a prep phase-ie be
prepared for attacks/incidents-servers go down so have backups or failovers
in place. As you're doing an exercise this prep will be more likely part of
your recommendations.
The Honeynet project images are a great tool to learn with.