Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Private IP Address from Exchange

From: "Kurt Buff" <kurt.buff () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 16:02:25 -0700

While I don't know enough to evaluate the risks, this is a common
request. It has something to do with (I would guess) enumerating the
hosts in your network.

It's a common question, for instance, on the Postfix list, and there
is a simple way to do it with Postfix (and I presume sendmail as well,
though I don't use that MTA.)

My *first* question, however, would by "why does your Exchange server
talk to the Internet"? I would put a mail gateway between your
Exchange server and the Internet to limit the amount of spam and
viruses you get from the world. Then I would use that box as a
smarthost for your Exchange server, and let the MTA on the smarthost
take care of that problem for you.

Kurt