Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: PowerPoint Metadata Extractor

From: Neil <neil () horizontheory com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 01:08:06 +0530

Let me first take a moment to thank anyone for their answers.  I got
quite a few, on- and off-list (more than I expected, honestly).

Some of you shared some great tools for removing metadata, and indeed,
my own searches of Google revealed that the vast majority of the tools
out there were for that purpose.

However, as noted by Ron and some others, I was actually looking for a
tool that would show me the metadata.  A particular site repeatedly put
up and took down a powerpoint, and I was interested in seeing if someone
had made changes, if it was the original author that made the changes,
and similar data.  Something was definitely different: the md5s didn't
match.

The best tool I've found so far has been Bitform Discover.  I've
downloaded some others, most of which failed in various respects.  As
this is more of a personal curiosity issue rather than anything
professional, I'm really disinclined to spend money on the software.
Some of the tools (metagoofil, for example) have linux dependencies, or
are linux only.  I recently reformatted my computer, and I'm
redownloading Gentoo as we speak, and I will try those out when I get it
up and running.

Anyone else with as-yet unmentioned software, by all means, please let
me know (on or off the list).

-Neil