Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Least privilege vs Windows server security

From: "Ackley, Alex" <aackley () epmgpc com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 12:08:06 -0400

Assuming you've applied basic security measures on the Government side
of the network; then you're doing exactly as you should.

The idea is nothing is going to stop anything if a DC is "owned."  But
this is only if someone acquires enterprise admin access to the DC.

If the network is compromised, with anything less than admin privs, then
your precautions in segmenting the network come into play and prevent
further data breaches.

On top of that; the majority of data theft and breaches happen from
within the organization by limiting the exchange of information between
the two networks you're reducing the attack surface that an insider
would have access to.

Also, by segmenting and limiting through the firewall you're hopefully
generating logs which can be further analyzed for lots of things.  Such
as seeing if unauthorized attempts are being made to get to the LE side;
in the event of a breach it should also be logging who is gaining or
attempting to gain access making it easier to track down the problem.

I'm sure others will come up with even more reasons but it basically
comes down the fact that you're doing the correct thing.  Least
privilege is almost always the right thing.

Alex Ackley, CISSP, GSEC
Security Administrator
EPMG, PC