Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Notebook policy (need advice)

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 21:25:51 +0100

On 2007-01-25 Eric Furman wrote:
I'll give you one very simple policy that you should enforce that will
make most of your concerns moot:

NEVER EVER EVER STORE SENSITIVE DATA ON A LAPTOP!

Anybody, and I mean ANYBODY, found with sensitive data on their laptop
should have it seized and they should be immediately dismissed.

There is virtually no reason to ever store sensitive data on a laptop.
Sensitive data should only ever reside on hardened servers in a
physically secured server room. If your employees need to work with
this data there are several means to securely access this data
remotely.

Just take your average insurance salesman. How do you guarantee that he
has remote access from everywhere he may make a contract?

cu
59cobalt
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."