Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Wireless monitoring

From: "Cote, Marc J." <mjcote () terracon com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 09:47:36 -0600

In regard to monitoring for unauthorized rogue access points in a
distributed environment, we have the same problem. When our computer
purchased McAfee AV, we purchased the ePolicy Orchestrator product with
it. We installed the McAfee Rogue System sensor service on machines in
every subnet on our network. Now when anything other than a proerply
configured, company owned asset with ePO comes on our network, we get an
email alert with the IP address.

The nodes that are incapable of running ePO have to be noted in the
console, but once that is done, we know every time a strange machine is
connected to our network.

Marc Cote

Terracon is a dynamic and growing consulting firm of engineers and
scientists
providing multiple related service lines to local, regional, and national
clients.

This electronic communication and its attachments are forwarded to you for
convenience. If this electronic transmittal contains Design Information or
Recommendations and not just general correspondence, Terracon Consultants,
Inc., and/or its affiliates ("Terracon") will submit a follow-up hard copy
via mail or delivery for your records, and this hard copy will serve as a
final record. In the event of conflict between electronic and hard copy
documents, the hard copy will govern. This e-mail and any attachments
transmitted with it are the property of Terracon and may contain
information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure.
The information it contains is intended solely for the use of the one to
whom it is addressed, and any other recipient should destroy all copies.