Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Port 8081 mystery

From: levinson_k () securityadmin info
Date: 23 Jan 2007 23:58:27 -0000

Surprise!  McAfee ePO, a security product, by default turns all of your workstations into web servers.  Didn't your
McAfee sales person tell you that?

TCP 8081 is an HTTP web service that listens by default on all workstations where the McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator
client is installed.

This is a very rudimentary HTTP implementation, so some basic security features won't be added until future versions.
In previous versions of ePO, the checkbox to disable the HTTP web server didn't work, so that there was no way to turn
it off.  I'm told they fixed that some time ago, but I haven't confirmed that yet.  If you disable the HTTP service on
ePO clients, you do lose a bit of functionality, so know what will stop working before you disable it.

kind regards,
Karl Levinson
http://securityadmin.info