Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Tracking down anonymous user

From: "David A. Coursey" <dave () rootsec net>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 11:27:45 -0500

As far as I know, when you send an internal message in an Outlook/Exchange
environment no message headers are stored.  There will also be no entries in
your SMTP logs because internal messages do not go through the SMTP server.
Outlook uses a MAPI connection and exchange drops the mail directly in the
recipients mailbox.

Right off hand I can't think of any quick way for you to figure out who did
it in the past, but others have suggested great ways to prevent this in the
future.  As an Exchange admin, your very first step after install is to
ensure message tracking is turned on.  We use group mailboxes like this as
well, but make the password super secure and don't give it out.  Use
Exchange System Manager to give the necessary domain accounts permissions to
"Read" or "Send As".

If you have the blessing from the ivory tower, you can search every mailbox
in the domain, specifically the Sent Items to see if anything suspicious
shows up.  If you do scheduled backups, you may also do a restore from the
night after the message was sent, to a different server, then search that.