Security Basics mailing list archives

F5 and Load Balancing

From: Ethan_Steiger () Polk com
Date: 16 Jan 2007 18:09:38 -0000

My Network group would like to leverage F5's bigIP products to do load balancing in both the Web tier as well as the
application tier of our networks. While I take no issue with that approach, I do have a level of paranoia regarding
them using the same physical device. Am I justified in my concern? Should I require them to purchase two additional F5s
for this implementation (HA configuration) or should I allow them to use the same F5 and use VLANS to separate them?
What is the threat of using the same device? Does the costs justify the added expense?

Lots of questions.

Thanks,
Ethan

Ethan Steiger, CISSP=20