Security Basics mailing list archives

Privacy of ISP's customers

From: Alcides <alcides.hercules () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:11:50 +0530

Hi List,
I'm presently working with a semi-government ISP as a security consultant.
The ISP is a local telecom big fish. It has provided Internet access to the customers via phone lines, it's using DSL. The customer has DSL router as a CPE. ISP people configure it with 2 IP addresses; one local and one global, and implement NAT for security. And the router is configured using both ie Global/Private IP address in a browser. I recently have been asked to find out loopholes in the mentioned system where the customer's privacy is not taken care or can be compromised. Now when I started my activities impersonating a normal customer, I found that:
1]I can nmap and discover open ports on my and neighboring IP addresses.
2] This included HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, SMB, NB-SSN etc services listening for incoming connections. 3]When I try to connect to some customer's HTTP port, I'm taken to his/her DSL-router(CPE) config. page, Configuration password is asked but is blank.

Now my questions:
1]What kind of tests can be carried out in order to find out what level of access can other customers gain and 2]What degree of impact can it have as far as the privacy of the customers is considered.
Thanking you,