Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: PGP encrypted email - basic questions

From: Tsu <tsudohnimh () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 17:20:30 -0600

Your confusion lies in the difference between PGP Encryption and PGP Signatures.

Signatures are just that. They are a line a text that are unique to
that PGP user, many users add this to the "signature" portion of their
email.

Encryption only occurs when one PGP user sends an email to another PGP
user, both of which have their public side signatures uploaded to a
keyserver ( http://keyserver.pgp.com ) or have them available on their
website.

The encryption process roughly follows these steps.

I have a public/private key w/ my public published to a keyserver.

I then send an email to another user whose public has been imported
into my software. Upon sending the email it will encrypt the email so
that it can only be decrypted with their private key.

I hope this clears it up. Email me if you have further questions.

Tsudohnimh
knowthenetwork.com