Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Changing the domain password policy

From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger () banneretcs com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 16:57:58 -0500

ALL user and service accounts should have expiring passwords. Service
accounts are additionally problematic because you must change the
password on the locally affected computer (lsa store) and in the
authentication service database where the account resides (i.e. Active
Directory or SAM).

Search for Don Jones' excellent service account password changing
script, or others like it located on the web. Essentially you put the
service account name and password into an external list or spreadsheet,
and then run the script. It will change the password on all the affected
machines.

Roger

*Roger A. Grimes, InfoWorld, Security Columnist
*CPA, CISSP, MCSE: Security (2000/2003/MVP), CEH, yada...yada...
*email: roger_grimes () infoworld com or roger () banneretcs com
*Author of Professional Windows Desktop and Server Hardening (Wrox)
*http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764599909