Security Basics mailing list archives

Tracing Threatening Email to an IP Address

From: ka4731 () aol com
Date: 1 Feb 2007 19:42:34 -0000

My friend and I received a threatening email from an anonymous yahoo account.  We believe this may have come from one
of my friend's coworkers because the header information was traced back as far as the IP address of the Cisco Pix
firewall within my friend's company network.  All emails I receive from my friend have the IP address of his computer
within his network.   Why is it that the anonymous email header doesn't tie me to a computer or work station just like
my friend but only shows the IP of the firewall?