Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: remote access to server.

From: Rico Secada <coolzone () it dk>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 10:13:31 +0100

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 16:42:48 -0500
Jonathan Askew JBASKEW <JBASKEW () uncg edu> wrote:

Thanks for the responses. Why the suggestion to place an OpenBSD box
in front of the server? Would this serve as a hardware firewall?

Yes.

I am looking into openvpn.net and logmein.com as they are within the
right price (free). This will be the first time I have needed to
setup a remote connection and it seems like there are a variety of
options and configurations to go with. Any one have some good
tutorials? I plan to test this in a lab environment first and then
deploy. One more question: if the server is set with an private
static ip will I am assuming I will need to set the router to forward
requests on the port that is chosen to the server? Thanks,
Blake