Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: http/anysite.com redirects to Wiki from Firefox

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 15:30:35 +0100

On 2007-12-13 Ali, Saqib wrote:
On Dec 13, 2007 7:09 PM, steve menard <nospam () dranem org> wrote:
On my Linux Laptop

http/anything.com

My DNS Supplier   takes over  and leads NOWHERE

So check who is solving your systems DNS

I don't think this has anything to do with the DNS setup. It is a
function provided by firefox. If firefox can not resolve the ip
address for a domain name it send the query to google, by default. Now
depending on where you got the firefox, the function may be disabled.

Correct. Firefox' behavior depends on its configuration. For instance,
if you had it configured to automatically add (.com|.net|.org) and/or
www. to a domain name in case it wasn't found, entering
http/anything.com would take you  to http://www.http.com/anything.com
instead of using Google's "I feel lucky" feature.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."