Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Information Security

From: "Sheldon Malm" <smalm () ncircle com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 09:20:24 -0800

Totally agree with Matt on this one - configuration and change
management is an important part of the overall security toolkit.

I would suggest that 3 important "controls" are:
- host configuration and change management
- vulnerability and exposure management, with risk-based prioritization
- identity and/or access management

A good place to start is to go to mitre's "making security measurable"
information online.  There you will find information about various
standards, including:
- CPE: enumeration of "platforms" (operating systems, applications,
services) with common, unique identification, syntax, and organization
- CVE: enumeration of vulnerabilities (you're probably aware of this
one)
- CCE: similar to CVE's, but for configuration settings
- CWE: common weaknesses
- CVSS: vulnerability risk scoring methodology
- OVAL: methodology for presenting detection
- XCCDF: interoperability standards in representing these various
standards

Also, there is an emerging standard from the US Gov't called "SCAP" (as
in: 'es_cap') that ties these together under a formal program.

CIS Benchmarks (from the Center for Internet Security) are another good
source of hardening guides, and are somewhat parallel to mitre's CCE's.
DISA's STIG series is another good source of hardening guides, combining
prescriptive text and configuration best practice checklists.

Of course, nCircle has solutions available for vulnerability management
(IP360) and configuration & change management (nCircle CCM).

As for Identity Management, this can be as simple as tightening AD for
Windows systems or as complex as a combination of provisioning, password
management, authentication, and authorization tools from large vendors
like Oracle, IBM, and Sun or from small vendors like M-Tech, Passlogix,
etc.  There is also an interesting small company that offers On Demand
Identity services called sxip if you prefer to have things hosted for
you.

I hope this helps.  Good luck with it.

Sheldon Malm
Director