Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Securing workstations from IT guys - topic orginator

From: "WALI" <hkhasgiwale () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 11:05:30 +0400

Thank for the replies guys and I am amazed at the responses I recieved. Would like especially thank the following guys and their sustantive suggestion, this in no way implies that other's well less substantive but it's just that I would highlight those that might work in my scenario.

* marc owen -  for his suggestion of secure admin delegation model
* Cory capps - for his/her suggestion of deploying a DC with EFS keys. I was wondering if deployment of a Windows 2003 DC with IPSEC security be any helpful?
* Tremain Lea - for suggesting username99 option.
* Krymson for highlighting some simple areas that might have been overlooked. * Kurt Buff - for sugesting deployment of SNARE. I feel it might be helpful and make a great central logging place. * Kurt Kesslar - for suggesting the deployment of absolute minimal rights for IT Staff. Would get back to him for more insights into such design. * Bert Knabe - again for his suggestion of deploying and monitor shortname accounts and company wide deployed solution, but would love to know specifics. * Scott - for bringing into fore the possibility of one of our Exchange admins, who might be abusing email servers.
* Craig Wright's - AGULP Model
* Big Joe Jenkins - The idea of each of our IT admin sign on an AUP and NDA is a valid suggestion and I have already initiated that. * Micheal Martinez - suggests that we design and formulate a document for appropriate controls.

There was one more thing which I thought someone would throw some more light upon:

1. Disabling default C$/D$/Admin$ shares upon startup on all HR workstations that join the domain. Would this have any adverse effect on the way the HR employees work?

2. Creating a separate domain for HR employees and establishing an administrative boundry, assigning only 1-2 well trusted network admins, rights on this domain?

It' s a bit hard to find the erring network admin and bring him to book at this point in time, but all I can (as an IT security admin) do is strengthen the controls for making things a bit harder in the future.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Rgds

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Vaernhoej" <nick.vaernhoej () capitalcardservices com>