Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Proxy log analyser

From: "Jon V" <denessar () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:21:25 -0400

Thank you for the reply Julio and to all of those who replied
privately.  Sarg seems to be a hands-down favorite.  While Sarg is a
great tool it does not do what I want simply because I can already do
it it offers.

I realize that I may have stumbled my words a bit in my first post so
I'll try to clarify a bit.  Most of the info that Sarg generates I can
get using grep, Calamaris & Squint (down to the user-level browsing).

What I was more interested in was a system which could facilitate
(better even automate) going through the logs so that I wouldn't need
to spend hours doing it by hand.

Example of how things are now:  A user is suspected of wasting time.
We get his proxy logs from the rest using regular expressions.  I now
know everywhere he's gone.  I then use calamaris to summarize the
sites by most visited, most downloaded, etc.  I go over these sites by
hand to determine what is work related and what is not (This is the
long part).  I then use squint to see how much time is spent online.

A benefit of doubt is always given to the employee: banners and page
refreshes (i.e google mail constantly refreshing) is grepped out to
not have constant 24/7 traffic.

This is a recursive process and can take a few days depending on the
amount of traffic the user has.  When we get a request for a few
reports at a time we downright freak out.

This is why I was interested in a more automated app that could
intelligently determine policy violations and greatly lessen the
workload.

Thanks again to everybody
Jon