Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Current Index of SANS GSEC Materials?

From: Brad Andrews <andrews () rbacomm com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 12:22:05 -0500

I would have to disagree with this sentiment that came from several people. I fail to see how producing and then formatting a set of pairs of terms and page(book) numbers enhances learning. A good book already has an index, they don't say "make your own to really know this material."

Having built an index won't help me understand the concepts in the slightest, it will just waste time finding those term-page pairs in the texts. Even with such an index I would fail the test if I did not understand how to apply the material. Just knowing the page it is on will not help with answering the question.

Would I need to self-index any other texts I have around to help with the test? Should I have to prepare my own index to my TCP/IP book

http://www.amazon.com/TCP-Guide-Comprehensive-Illustrated-Protocols/dp/159327047X/

to prove that I really know TCP/IP?  That would not be bright.

Of course people are free to disagree with me, but if you do so please compile a more compelling argument that shows how learning the term-page number pairs really helps understand the material. Also not how taking the time to format that in an effective manner helps in the slightest.

In fact, having an electronic copy of the materials would make this whole exercise moot. I would still have to know what to look for, but I would be focused on the material, not the search.

Brad

Quoting Isaac Perez <suscripcions () tsolucio com>:

I recommend you to do it yourself,
I think you are trying to learn while getting GSEC, and getting the work
done by others is not a good way to learn.