Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Securing Development in a production environment

From: Goran Pizent <goran.pizent () mobilnet hr>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:09:00 +0200

Hello Anthony,

I am surprised that developers do what you just have described.
They probably lack proper security education both technical and
administrative. They are clearly unaware of the values that they posses
on their machines. It is very important to explain them (in terms of $)
how much your company would loose in case of unauthorized modifications
of source code.
Also there should be consequences if they don't obey, and if someone
don't obey he/she is not responsible person and you should have second
thoughts about him/her in your team.

About administrative rights on local machines. I am not quite familiar
what is your business/development process but I would not completely
lock them down. I would force them (through security policy) to work as
normal users and they certainly can work and produce code, and debug
application, and read mail, and surf the Internet and chat with friends
etc etc with normal user privileges. But sometimes (rare cases) they
really need admin privileges. Example is when they need to debug kernel
or when they need debug privilege (SeDebugPrivilege on Windows) to debug
process that is not executing under their credentials.
And another thing - reading mail, browsing Internet, Instant messaging
WITH administrative rights IS potential risk for your company and your
assets that resides on workstations of all of your employees (including
developers of course).  That's why you should create security policy
that resolves that issue.

If you need to test installation(MSI etc.) I think that local VMWare
with no access to network is good enough for initial setup test. Of
course you have to have dedicated testers and setup masters that will
create and test final setup and your product in dedicated environment of
course.

Hope that helps,
Goran