Security Basics mailing list archives

Virtual/Software HSM (Hardware Security Module)?

From: <nl () forststrasse27 de>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 00:02:50 +0200

Hello list,

as i step more and more into PKI especially Microsoft PKI I wonder if theres
any free Solution to store Keys outside the CA.
I know in a productive System I would choose a real HSM as the name Hardware
Security Module tells.

But for learning/testing it would be great if there's a "virtual" HSM, only
to make the Certification Authority belive there's a HSM.

Secondly I wondered if I could use a PC with a TPM-Chip to generate/store
key's safely. But I have to do some more research about this. But if
somebody has input I would appreciate ;-)

Regards
Tom