Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Network+ and Security+

From: "Petter Bruland" <pbruland () fcglv com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 16:14:14 -0700

:-)

I was in the same boat as you are now Martin... And as Rishi said, you
have miles to go, but don't let that stop you.

And Google is you friend.

I worked as help desk for quite some time, and always wanted to get to
where I'm at today, although there is always more to learn. I've been
really lucky, where I've always had lots of computers at home where I've
setup all sorts of network/server setups and learned on my own by trial
and error. And most of the places where I've worked, I have had the
chance to work with network techs and sys admins who also wanted to
teach me stuff.

Most of my books were only purchased for reference, except for when I
got my CCNA. If you haven't built your own box and cut your own network
cables, both of the books you refer to would be a good start. I'm not
sure about you, but I have to have some hands-on rather than reading to
remember/understand stuff. Maybe I've got A.D.D. who knows..

Learning a programming language is a great too. One thing that I learned
a lot from was setting up a site using PHP to display network/server
data pulled with SNMP via MRTG/RRDTOOL. It's not too complicated, and
it's a lot of fun.

Not sure if I was any help, but that's what I've got :-)

-Petter