Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Multi-Factor Authentication Concern

From: "David Harley" <david.a.harley () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 10:08:01 +0100

Multi-factor authentication offers two or more "methods" to
authenticate a single entity/user accessing a system.

Well, I imagine everyone but Bob agrees that that's what we usually mean by
the term. :)

While the examples Justin proposes are usually given other names, I have to
agree that there's an element of "culturally defined by the Infosec
community." That doesn't mean I favour dropping the distinction between the
ways in which we use multi-factor and multi-key (for instance), though.
We've evolved these usages precisely because we need to distinguish between
different mechanisms, however closely they're related, conceptually or
semantically.

The real problem with this thread is that we still haven't addressed Jason's
need of a a definitive reference. (I did suggest a couple of book
references, but perhaps they didn't make the list.)

--
David Harley
http://www.smallblue-greenworld.co.uk