Security Basics mailing list archives

Secure deletion on Mac OS X

From: barcajax () gmail com
Date: 30 Apr 2007 03:00:53 -0000

I use Eraser to securely delete files on my Windows XP desktop. I use CCleaner to securely delete my surfing history,
cookies and cache.
I'm looking for similar freeware secure deletion tools that can be used on Mac OS X. Mac OS X comes with its own secure
deletion option but it does not have any options to configure. How does it fair against a tool like Eraser? Is there a
better tool for Mac? How about a freeware tool to securely clear my surfing history, cookies and cache? My preference
is for both tools to support the Gutmann method.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.