Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Value of certifications

From: Patrick <flymooney () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:25:11 -0400

Simmons, James wrote:

DoD is now mandating security certifications for employee's working in
IA positions. Of course ISC2 certs are there with a few others. But what
does that accomplish? Their policy is suppose to be that they will not
hire anyone new without meeting these requirements, and that is what I
fear a lot of companies are moving towards.

Regards,

Simmons

I used to work in the County government and HR would list certifications without knowing anything about them. The department heads would just ask around and see what should be in the job posting. Then they would "insist" on the applicants having the credentials even though they had no idea what was required or what they even meant. We always joked that the next time one of the County Directors asked what should be in a posting, we should tell them "ASE Certified" or something like that just to see what would happen. However, none of us wanted to be called on the carpet if a Director ended up being embarrassed by it.

I always thought it was funny that after I have been doing a job for 21 years, someone comes along and tells me I need "their" certification on something I have already been doing. :-)

Patrick