Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Concepts: Security and Obscurity

From: Daniel Miessler <daniel () dmiessler com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 23:30:43 -0400

On Apr 4, 2007, at 1:09 PM, work () moltenplanet com wrote:

From my perpective the example used is weak as the system relies entirely on the authenticated SSH for security, if this is properly secured using an authentication server then what is the port knocking needed for.

Well, in my view it's beneficial to eliminate the ability of the world as a whole to even CONNECT to your daemon in the first place. Even if there is very strong authentication in place, there's no way to know that the system cannot be compromised *before* that point.

As such, taking away that exposure for 99.9% of the planet seems to me like a very strong security measure.

Thoughts?

--
Daniel Miessler
E: daniel () dmiessler com