Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Patch Management

From: "Chinnery, Paul" <PaulC () mmcwm com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 15:26:40 -0400

Well, one of the benefits is, of course, the cost of WSUS: none.

Some things I did notice about WSUS (v2.0):

1. Won't roll out patches to Office 2000;
2. Report feature is fair but not as good as Shavlik (supposed to improve
   with 3.0);
3. Won't patch anything but MS products

It's pretty easy to configure though.  Once I set up the GPO, I easily set up different groups in WSUS to reflect the
patch procedure: test group to test out patches, etc.

I should point out that we have less than 300 desktops and we do our servers manually (since we're a hospital our HCIS
runs 24/7 so we have to schedule downtime for the servers).

WSUS has served us well but it has its limitations which is why we may proceed with Shavlik this fall or early 2008.

Paul Chinnery
Network Administrator
Memorial Medical Center