Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re: Concepts: Security and Obscurity

From: levinson_k () securityadmin info
Date: 18 Apr 2007 00:21:52 -0000

Whether passwords count as obscurity is a question asked frequently over the years.  Like Craig, I tend to agree with
the wikipedia definition of security through obscurity, which suggests it applies to systems that use the secrecy of
design / implementation details to provide security.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_through_obscurity

So with this definition, it would depend more on how the passwords were technically implemented, rather than whether or
not passwords are used.  Passwords are the piece of authentication data you want to protect, and not the method of
protecting that authentication.  The design is what you'd evaluate for obscurity, not the data.

If you are discussing an early port knocking implementation without any cryptographic methods where the authenticator
is a packet sent to a series of ports in order, that gets fuzzy.  I tend to consider that to be a password like a
keypad PIN or a numerical door lock, though some could argue that connecting to ports in akin to a network
authentication protocol that relies on secrecy.

And it gets even fuzzier if you're talking more recent port knocking implementations that are open source (not secret
in their implementation details) and that use cryptographic functions for authentication.

I'd say that asking whether port knocking apps are examples of obscurity is like asking whether operating systems are
obscurity: some of them might use obscurity entirely, partly or not at all, it all depends on their implementation.

Note that the definition of obscurity above (using secrecy of design details for security) seems to include closed
source software.  That might be the best example we should be using of obscurity, because open source vs. closed source
is a religious question that will never be answered to everyone's satisfaction.  Just like security through obscurity.

kind regards,
Karl Levinson
http://securityadmin.info