Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Product query: Professor Messer's Nmap Secrets

From: "Robert Wesley McGrew" <wesley () mcgrewsecurity com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 19:33:53 -0500

On 4/9/07, Renrick <renrick () coralwave com> wrote:
Hi all,

Has anyone used this training material as yet? Is it worth the $200 tag ?

http://www.professormesser.com/nmapsecrets/

I can't speak for the quality of this training, however I think with
the appropriate background in the basics of TCP/IP, the nmap
documentation, and experimentation, you can learn a lot.  I'm not
really sure there are any "nmap secrets" as most options are pretty
well documented.

I will say that even if you've used nmap for a while, you'll pick up
at least a few good tricks, and perhaps a new outlook on how to use
it, from tracking down and watching Fyodor's presentations on nmap at
conferences.  Off the top of my head I know there's a couple in the
Defcon media archives:

http://defcon.org/html/links/defcon-media-archives.html

...and perhaps other videos of his talks could be found online.

--
Robert Wesley McGrew
http://mcgrewsecurity.com