Security Basics mailing list archives

Hardware VOIP phone through VPN

From: "John Lightfoot" <jlightfoot () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 14:51:29 -0500

My company uses an IP phone network from Alcatel.  I work remotely from home
but would like to have a local phone extension.  I have a hardware phone,
but when I plug it into my home network, it can't reach my company's network
because that requires a VPN to access, and the phone doesn't appear to have
any way to configure dialing a VPN connection.

My home network has a Windows Server 2003 box on it.  I'm trying to route
the VOIP traffic through a persistent connection from my server to the
company network.  I created a demand-dial interface through the Routing and
Remote Access snap-in, and my server can ping the Alcatel server.  But my
client PCs and my phone can't reach the remote network.  Is there a way to
do this?  I've tried routing traffic heading to the remote network back to
my Windows server, but that doesn't work.  Is there a way to route a client
request to a specific IP address through a server on the network?

Thanks.

John Lightfoot