Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: user default password checking tool

From: PCSC Information Services <info () pcsage biz>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 15:17:10 -0400

Hello Pavan,

The first problem to tackle in this respect is policy. Your organization needs
to adopt a password policy wherein passwords of a certain quality and
complexity are mandated by IT policy mechanisms. In a windows environment you can set these policies using the security and configuration analysis snap-in.

This is the best way to ensure that the default pass is changed on first log-in,
and that passwords are routinely updated. You can also mandate that all
passwords be changed at next log-on to ensure that any such passwords
would be updated.

See http://www.sans.org/resources/policies/Password_Policy.pdf for great
advice with respect to passwords. I understand that this doesn't 'answer' your question, but in the main, adopting a policy with respect to password
will obviate the need to ask exactly this type of question.

Good luck with the policies.

Sincerely,

Sean Swayze