Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Security incident or operational incident?

From: "Mark Palmer" <mpalmer () hoovers com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 14:19:26 -0500

There are the 3 tenants of security, but what is missing is a how to
divide and categorize all compliance events.  There was something I read
somewhere (sorry I forgot the resource) that divided compliance events
into two categories.

Cat 1
Avoidable
Predictable
Benign

Cat 2
Intentional
Unavoidable
Malicious

These are the "ying-and-yang" of determining compliance incident
classification.  Category 1 events are controllable with the appropriate
controls in place.  Sometimes humans make mistakes.  Category 2 events
are when someone intentionally is doing something for personal gain.

Your incident was neither.  It was a Compliance Event that needed to be
reported, but perhaps not escalated to the management, but that depends
on your Security and Compliance Framework.

Mark Palmer
-----

The information contained in this communication is confidential. This
communication is the property of Hoover's, Inc. and is intended only for
the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, please
notify me promptly and delete the message. Any distribution or copying
of this message without my prior consent is prohibited.