Security Basics mailing list archives

packet inspection via proxy

From: cshaffer () gmail com
Date: 7 Oct 2006 15:47:57 -0000

I'm not sure if this is the best list for this question and if it's not I apologize in advance. I consult for a small
service provider and we are seeing different things like bit torrent cloaking that are escaping our L7 traffic shaping.
I remember reading about a proxy (Microsoft ISA I believe) that would be the end point for traffic like HTTPS (or other
secure traffic) then establish the actual HTTPS connection for the requester. My thought is
this: Couldn't we push all of the traffic through a proxy then tag and do shaping on the packet based on what is found
when the packets are uncloaked or decrypted? Is this a feasible thought? Can anyone point me at devices that can do
this sort of proxy or do all of them do this? And can the cloaking that is being done with bit torrent even be managed
in this way?

Thanks

Curt