Security Basics mailing list archives

Suggestion needed

From: "Chen, Xuan" <sharonchen () ou edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 09:23:42 -0500

Hi, list:

I have been in web app development for a few years, now I have been in
security field over a year, seems I am pretty interested about hacker
techniques, malware analysis and IDS stuff, felt little bit hesitated
get into any day to day network management job like ACL, VPN account
management, but I know knowledge about firewalls and routers are also
important for a security professional, but I am not sure how deep I
should dig into this area.=20
Another concern is my language limitation and my nationality, I am from
China, I feel it would be a barrier for me to get into forensic field
since they demand very good presentation skills and high clearance.=20
So, what will be the right path for me to avoid my weakness and still
have a career I enjoy? Pen-testing? Incident response? web app testing?

Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.