Security Basics mailing list archives

Accessing printers but not files

From: "Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC)" <hylton () conacher co za>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 12:03:23 +0200

Hi,

Not strictly a security question but it does involve keeping the security of some of the information secure.

I am using broadband via a cable connection plugged into the router hub. The router also has wireless access and there are two Win XP wireless laptops using the service, totally legit.

I do not have a printer, but the laptops do. Is it possible and also how could I enable the use of the Win XP printers, from my cabled access to the router, without having to enable file sharing whilst keeping the data on the laptops secure?

Regards
Hylton