Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security Search Engine

From: Dathan Bennett <dathan () shsu edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 09:22:15 -0500

Sounds like a good idea to me. Of course, in order to provide a searchable list of sites that meet your criteria, you're going to have to visit each site and review them, which could be a time-prohibitive effort.

I understand that you're intending to make a vendor-neutral list, but I think you should reconsider your stance on including vendors'
websites in your index.  You could flag them and have them show up in a
separate set of search results if you want. But vendors often have a lot of information on their products that may be difficult to find elsewhere (or at least that may not be organized as nicely elsewhere), so I think you'd be doing your search engine a disservice to not include those sites. Other vendor sites also offer whitepages, FAQs, HOWTO's, etc. for download, and it would be good to include those in your search index, for sure. Your engine will be more effectively neutral, IMO, by including ALL sites germane to the topic, no matter how partisan or biased toward a particular product, rather than excluding all product-specific sites.

~Dathan

Saqib Ali wrote:
Hello All,

I am building a Search Engine exclusively for the Security and
eSecurity Community using Google's Coop program.

I would like to NOT include any vendor site but just index sites that
are vendor neutral. Would this is be a good strategy or not?

The URL for the search engine is
http://www.xml-dev.com

Any suggestion, or new URLs are welcome.
Note: I won't include any security vendor website in the index for right now.