Security Basics mailing list archives

Risk Assessment Basics

From: "Fahim S" <fahimdxb () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:09:24 +0400

With an ISO 27001 LA course behind me, I am off to hitting my very
first Security Assignment where I had to tacke a company's (quite bad)
IT Audit report done by E&Y guys. Amingst various other issues raised
by these guys that include 'Lack of segregation of duties",
programmers having full access on production systems", lacking of
program change management guidelines etc., etc....under clause titled
Areas of Improvement is a listed "Risk Assessment" has never been
carried out and no BCP exists.

Now, the first thing I want to do is undertake Risk Assesmment and my
understanding is, that in order to undertake Risk Assesment, I first
need to create/organise an Asset Register enumerating all the IT
Assets.

I read quite a well written article here:
http://www.networkmagazineindia.com/200212/security2.shtml

The guys here have a list of most of the Assets (Servers/PCs/Printers
etc) and I am using Eval version of Network View to get insights into
the others that are missing,

But what's the best practise? Is there a template to maintain An Asset
Register? How would I valuate them after identification and further, I
would also have to classify them.

Am I right in undertaking this process to start with given the fact
that various other points exist in the Auditors report? How should I
start?
Please Advise!!

PS: We are not aiming for ISO 27001 certification anytime in the near
future, I am only looking at it for best practices for now.