Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Password statistics and standards

From: "Laundrup, Jens" <Jens.Laundrup () METROKC GOV>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 14:29:43 -0700

The statistics you have on how long it takes to crack a password is
highly dependent upon what machine(s) you have access to, how effective
an algorithm you are using, if you are trying to crack the actual
password or if you have access to a rainbow table etc.

What I have done here includes some assumptions that may or may not be
valid for your set up but I have tried to lay it out so that it is easy
to understand how I got there

There are 96 different characters on a keyboard (26 upper case letters,
26 lower case letters, 10 numbers, 34 usable characters).  If each
position can have one of 96, then the number of attempts to crack a
password is the number of options per character (96 options) to the
power of the location.  Logically speaking, if you had a one digit
password, you would have to try 96 different characters to have
attempted them all.  If it was a two character password, then you would
have to attempt (96 x 96) or 96^2 (squared) times etc.

Now, statistically speaking, there is a 50% chance you will guess the
password in the first half of the attempts so to allay any false sense
of security, divide the final probability by two.

Assume that a good computer system can test 2 million passwords per
second.

So

6 digit                                    8 digit

96^6 = 782,757,789,696            96^8 =  7,213,895,789,838,336
 Or 7.82 x 10^11                             or 7.2 x 10^15

As you can see, the 8 digit password has approximately 10,000 times more
possibilities.

(From now on I will use only the 8 digit password combination number).

Given that, you can now divide this by 2 million passwords per second to
get the approximate number of attempts necessary try all possible
combinations

= 7,213,895,789,838,336 combinations/2,000,000 combinations per second

= 3,606,947,894 seconds

= 3,606,947,894 seconds/86,400 seconds per day

= 41,747 days

= 41,747 days/365.25 days per year

= 114 years

BUT, remember that you will statistically guess the password in the
first 50% of your attempts so the password will be broken using that
methodology in 57 years.

Why this is misleading!

If you use a single computer, this would be good, but chances are that
the person trying to crack the password will use a cluster of computers
he/she has hijacked (a bot net).  Most botnets have over 1000 computers
in them so going back to the number of days (41,747) divide that by 1000
computers working on the problem at one time gives all solutions in 42
days but statistically speaking, the solution in 21 days.

Start looking into pass phrases for high risk accounts such as
administrators etc.

Examples:

2dayWaz$unny@cleer        <today was sunny and clear

D3arb0ss,4ku&go#s@nd!      <Dear boss, fork you and go pound sand!

REMEMBER, these are guestimates based on a specific system, a specific
capability etc.  It needs to be adapted to fit your environment.

Jens