Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Windows Internet Kiosk

From: "Dan Tesch" <dan.tesch () comcast net>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 19:38:17 -0600

If you are familiar with VMWare (or even if you are not) you should check
our the VMWare website - they have what they call the Virtual Appliance
Marketplace - there are completely installed VM images configured with apps
ready to go - I saw at least one set up to run a kiosk. VMWare can be
installed
for free, then you download and launch the appliance image and go from
there.
You will probably find many other uses for virtual technology once you jump
in.

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/index.html

Hello Everyone...

Not really sure if this is the right place, but we are looking into setting
up a internet kiosk for our staff to use, but we will need to be able to
login  by username, but most of the users don't normally have internet
access, does anyone have any experience setting up windows / Linux to do
this? I really need it locking down to just a browser...

I'm thinking GP with a mandatory profile, but im not to sure how to lock
down the browser, I cant really use IE in kiosk Mode, as I need them to have
an address bar, but I don't want them installing anything or changing any
settings on the machine.

Thanks in Advance

Christopher Boczko

Chemdry UK Ltd