Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: advice for ccna certification

From: "Dixon, Wayne" <wcdixo () aurora lib il us>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 16:29:17 -0600

The first question is Are you going through the academy, or are you doing self-study?  If you're going through the
academy, check with your instructors to verify that the tests haven't changed... I know Cisco is refreshing the CCNP
classes, I'm not sure if they refreshed the CCNA ones though.

If you are planning on doing self study, I would recommend the these books from Cisco Press:

CCNA INTRO Exam Certification Guide
CCNA ICND Exam Certification Guide

And this book from Sybex:
CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, 5th Edition

These first two are the specific Certification guides for the two separate tests.  They go into more depth than just
the single test to help aide in fully comprehending what's happening.  These are the two books I used when I took my
both parts of the CCNA test.  The last one is a book that does a thorough job of describing, in mostly plain English,
the information that you need to know about regarding CCNA material.

However, what's more important than any book you could possibly read is hands on lab time.  Without that you have a
less likely chance of passing the exam the first time around.  That proved to be invaluable for me.  Simulators only go
far, while hands on lab time will actually allow you see all of the bugs within an IOS.

Wayne