Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: openssl.. web based certificate management

From: "Saqib Ali" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 14:45:54 -0500

Hi Florian,

Certificate management is a serious business. I am not sure why a
small org which can't afford a commercial CA suite would even want to
manage their certificates. If the organization doesn't have a proper
"Certificate Policy" and "Certification Practice Statement" in place
the Verisign won't even sign the root cert of the organization.

For Smaller organizations Managed PKI with enTrust, Verisign or RSA is
the way to go.

I wouldn't recommend any small Org to install their own web based PKI
management suite. Maybe that is why there isn't any OSS project for
this.... :-)

saqib
http://www.full-disk-encryption.net