Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How safe is a VPN connexion from within an internal network?

From: rvenne () dental-on-line fr
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 14:14:36 +0100

PIERRE.DUFRESNE () MESS GOUV QC CA wrote:
Hi all!

I have been asked to install a vpn client on a workstation inside our
network that would access another network through our firewall.
Besides the technical details of allowing IPSec traffic through a NATed
device,  I was wondering how safe is this practice? Is it done often?
Once the connexion is established, can a host on the external network
access the workstation inside my network, ie initiate a connexion?
Should I rather go with a "site to site" vpn connexion?

Thanks for your time

Pierre

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic Excellence in Information Security. Our program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. Using interactive e-Learning technology, you can earn this esteemed degree, without disrupting your career or home life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus
Bonjour,
et un salut au quebec, un pays que j'aime bien.

Yes, it si often done. I've put in place a such network. A crypted VPN inside my wlan. My freebsd box has a vpn server, in order to route/nat all subnets.

I suppose that your hosts, are separed, In which case, I would suggest you a "site to site" setting. That avoid any firewall and routing complication, and the traffics are pretty clear in both distant networks, so that you can investigate any time you want.

Many of my clients have a host who has vpn acces to the main intranet. These hosts are HIGHLY safe. Remember, only a end to end security policy makes a sens.

If your aren't absolutly sure workstation, please don't do that. If the workstation's security is compromised, you'll not be able to investigate, because of crypting vpn. So that you would be forced to looking for what's going on, on the other side... but it's too late. The "guy" had passed through vpn before.

A good idea, would be, to avoid any web acces while vpn is up.

I'd like to highliy recommand openvpn, a full UDP/ssl/simple and robust vpn solution.

et, désolé pour mon anglais.

--

Richard VENNE
www.dental-on-line.com