Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Mcafee security

From: "Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC)" <hylton () conacher co za>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 15:55:14 +0200

apaez1084 () yahoo com wrote:
i got a problem. I have all the users computer under a domain. And all the users are part of the domain user group. So they have very limited access. The thing about it is that it wont update the computers. I have to change them to domain administrator. I dont want this users to administrtor of anything. But i want to keep the mcafee antivirus updated along with the OS. I give them admin access there goes everything. Some one help me with this. I need all computer to download the updates for mcafee and the OS and anyother software that needs to keep getting updated.
To me this is strictly not a sucurity problem but a network
infrastructure problem.

Do you have a domain controller?

I would think that setting up a proxy server on the domain controller,
which I assume also is your gateway to the internet, and then pointing
all computers on your LAN to use the proxy would solve most, if not all
your problems. That way any software updates re downloaded once and then
available to all the other computers.

Hih