Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability Assessment of a EAL 4 system

From: "Jason Muskat, GCFA, GCUX, de VE3TSJ" <Jason () TechDude Ca>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 02:01:33 -0500

Hello,

EAL4 is not a security certification. It's more a 3rd party evaluation of
ones ascertation of assurance.

One may assert that attempting to connect to any port what so ever results
in a reset being sent.... Provided the system is configured exactly in some
described matter. Any change to anything invalidates EAL certification
including patches, hot-fixes, services packs, security updates, or any such
configuration variations.

If you want to test EAL4 systems review the Common Criteria for the level,
review the EAL4 "ascertation of assurance" documents from the vendor. Then
configure the system as such and perform unit tests to verify outcomes. This
is much more a QA activity then one if a security pen-test.

Regards,

--
Jason Muskat  | GCFA, GCUX - de VE3TSJ

http://TechDude.Ca/